Saturday, February 25, 2012

Stories for 2012-02-20


 Announcement 
Attend Wednesday's FREE Quality, Test & Measurement ONLINE Trade Show + Event – February 22, 2012
Join your peers and leading manufacturers for this free, informative, and interactive ONLINE Trade Show + Event - right from the convenience of your desktop. Participate in any or all of the educational sessions, network with peers, and meet with manufacturers eager to showcase their latest products ... more

 Recent Questions & Answers^ Back To Top
Black Iron Coating?
By Sid_Sidow in Chemical & Material Science

My gas bar-b-que grill was in need of new grates inside. My brother-in-law has a metal shop and offered some angle iron - galvanized or black metal. As I recall, galvanized contains zinc, I did not think this would be good for the food cooking. I chose the black iron. After cutting the pieces to pr ...more

Koken Barber Chair Repair
By the chops in General Discussion

Hi! I am restoring a "1910" Koken Barbers Chair from the ground up... In the process of tearing the chair completley apart I had to cut, twist & extract a lot of the screws & bolts out of the brackets, etc.. & when a chair is of this age. There's No~Way some of them will come out as they ... more

White Bearing Rust Inhibitor
By aurelioc in Electrical Engineering

Does anyone know of a rust inhibitor for white metal bearings for a HV Electric motor that will be in long term storage (About 12 months) and does not need to be removed before it returns to service. It must be compatible with the motor's lubrication system which is a common tank? I want to be able ... more

Speed Control on VAT 2000
By Farhan Javed in Electrical Engineering

Hi, We have a VAT 2000 VSD of GE and I want to control speed on it using potentiometer but after setting necessary parameters motor is still running on fixed speed. Can anybody tell me what does base frequency represents on VAT 2000? C02-0 is set to Anoluge Fixed C07-0 speed setting 1 is set to ... more

Liquefaction of Ground
By noelngke in Civil Engineering

Dear fellow experts, I read about liquefaction of soil. However, I am wondering what frequency is critiacal for this to occur? I came across a 1.4m thick partially buried pile cap which moves in three directions (x,y, z). Wondering whether the induced vibration from the structure about has caused ... more

Abrasive and Impact Resistant Pipes for Ash and Coal Conveying
By seshu0971 in Mechanical Engineering

We are presently using normal ERW Pipes of 6" diameter for Conveying the Bed Ash as well as Fly ash to the silo from Boiler through pressurized dry ash conveying system. The pipes are getting worn out very frequently, i.e., within three months, are there any pipes which are of better quality and dur ... more

Getting Data from a PLC Automatically
By doyleke3 in Instrumentation

Hi, I am trying to collect information from a PLC for a college project. This Omron PLC is connected to 6 stations on an assembly line. I am trying to collect information like times for when the pallet enters station A and exits station A and so on. I have currently ident ... more

B31.1 Temperature Ratings
By thinman56 in Mechanical Engineering

I know the temperature limits given for the stress values in Appendix A bottom out at -20F, but does that mean that A106 or A53 carbon steel cannot be installed outside where temperatures may drop to -40F on a few winter nights? I see the tables also include the lower limit of -20F for 304L SS, but ... more

High Speed Linear Actuator - 12-Gauge Shotgun?
By STL Engineer in General Discussion

I am working on the design of a testing device that requires a linear actuator to move about 10 lbs (22 kg.) mass about 6 inches (150mm) with 120 lbf. of sliding friction in a few milliseconds to achieve a peak speed of 168 feet per second (50 m/s). Originally we had thought to drive it with a slide ... more

What is Causing the Zug Island Hum?
By ronwagn in General Discussion

US Steel has a highly guarded plant on Zug Island in the Detroit River. Apparently they have made some changes in their processes. People in Windsor Canada, across the Detroit River, are now vehemently complaining about a strong hum. What kind of equipment change, in a steel mill, could cause such a ... more

Insulation Class F/B
By coolyaar in Electrical Engineering

One of our siemens 450KW motor has insulation class as F/B. what does that mean.is it a class F motor with temperature limit of 155 degree or class B motor with temperature limit of 130 degree.

 New Blog Entries^ Back To Top
Why Sitting is Killing You
posted in Biomedical Engineering

I was using stumbleupon.com the other day (which is admittedly an internet black hole that makes you sit and stare at a computer screen for hours) and I found this really interesting and slightly disheartening infographic about the dangers of sitting all day. I'm sure many of you spend hours sit ... more

Restoring Lives, One Classic Car At A Time
posted in Hemmings Motor News Blog

A few years back, I started becoming more aware of the problems that soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan were having, as they tried to return to civilian life. I know, this is not a new problem, but my family was involved in 9/11, so I've been personally invested. Anyway, we tossed ...more

Journey to Better Health
posted in Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition

Well I have started my weight loss journey or should I say my journey to better health. I am utilizing a program on my iPhone to track my calories, fat, sodium and exercise called "Lose it". I have a scale that calculates the percentages of body fat vs. muscle, hydration and bone density. I hop ...more

 Latest Topics of Discussion^ Back To Top
Almond Halving (Transversally) Machine
By mazhur in Mechanical Engineering

I am assigned by a condiment producer to get or build him a machine for automatically halving mixed almonds transversally into almost two equal halves. Of course the almond seeds are previously shelled but seem to be obtained from small varieties of mixed sized almonds, looking almost like seeds fro ... more

 Engineering News^ Back To Top


Stay Informed^ Back To Top
 Product Alerts
Receive email updates on new products and suppliers

 Newsletter Subscriptions
Your source for technology news and industry information - view past issues

 Download the Engineering Toolbar - It's Free!
The Engineering Toolbar - The Ultimate Resource for Engineering and Technical Research. Learn More

 Product Announcements
New and featured products from manufacturers and suppliers

 Events
NEW: Online, interactive conferences / trade shows featuring latest news and industry trend
Call for Speakers submit your proposal

Tools & Links^ Back To Top
Build an original machine to launch a rocket
Flex your physics muscles - Take the TREB Challenge!
Directory of Companies on GlobalSpec
Engineering & Scientific Links
Technical Articles
Video Library

No comments: